Notes on Iqbal

Warning: This is not a scholarly blog on Iqbal. Rather, this is blog is for those who like me, may have heard of Iqbal but never really understood what all the fuss was about.

Knowledge of Urdu while helpful is not necessary.

My aim is to introduce Iqbal to you much the same way my mom introduced him to me in our kitchen before I started going to school.

She would recite poems from Iqbal while I she made breakfast for the family. She would then translate all the difficult words in easy Urdu. Then recite the poem again, thereby decoding Iqbal for a five year old.

I plan to do much the same, except I will attempt to provide you with English words, which I feel, are close enough to the original Urdu or Persian words. Please note, I am not claiming to translate the words or the verse. That I feel is a task for a linguist scholar, which I am not.

My goal is to convey the broad meaning of what I think Iqbal is saying. Through this blog, I hope to share with you the passion, the thought, and the beauty of Iqbal's poems and verses.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

teray ishq kii intehaa chaahataa huu.n - tahira syed

No comments:

Post a Comment